Five Benefits of Direct Primary Care for Small Businesses
September 19, 2019
Most small businesses today spend approximately 8%-18% more than large companies for the same health insurance plans. As a small business leader, you have an opportunity to effectively manage your company’s healthcare costs by embracing direct primary care (DPC). DPC is a popular alternative to traditional fee-for-service insurance billing that provides patients with unlimited access to primary care for an affordable flat monthly fee.
There are many reasons why DPC can be a good fit for your small business. Below, we discuss the top benefits:
1. Lowers healthcare costs — Many employees with high-deductible health plans avoid care or are subject to large bills until their deductibles are met. A DPC membership can be very cost-effective because it provides your employees with 24/7 access to primary care for a flat monthly fee. Providing access to regular, high-quality care also helps eliminate trips to the E.R., where wait times can be lengthy, copays can be high and waiting rooms can pose a higher risk of exposure to other illnesses.
2. Provides access to convenient, timely care — In addition to visiting DPC clinics during regular business hours, your employees can call or text their primary care providers after-hours, including on weekends and holidays. This means they get access to high-quality care, anytime, anywhere, which can be especially valuable for employees with chronic conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes.
3. Reduces absenteeism and improves productivity — With no copays, barriers to care or annual premium increases, your employees can access their primary care providers when and where they need it. When your employees have minor illnesses or other medical issues, their doctors can often consult with them via phone or telemedicine, reducing the need for in-person visits. This means they miss less time away from work and are therefore more productive.
4. Creates more competitive benefits packages — Nearly half of Americans, or 49% of the U.S. population, receive employer-sponsored health insurance, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. The lower cost of DPC means you can offer more competitive health benefits for current and prospective employees, while reducing your overhead.
5. Promotes a healthier workplace — Providing your staff with access to affordable, high-quality care helps create a culture of employees who are proactively engaged in their health as well as emphasizes your company’s commitment to employee wellness.
As healthcare costs continue to rise year over year, DPC can provide a more cost-effective alternative to help you manage your employees’ health expenses. If you’re ready to break free of the conventional model and bring DPC to your small business, we can help. Contact us to learn more about Strada Healthcare’s Direct Primary Care memberships and pricing.